Are you hearing voices?
By now you know that, as a Thought Leader, it’s critical to lose the “sales speak” when creating content. But, when writing about topics that relate to service offerings or products—we can easily slip into “sales speak” fast.
Before we know it, we’ve blurted out, “Buy our stuff,” or “Call me today.” It’s only natural! We’ve been programmed to sell, sell, sell to keep our businesses moving! Once we’re there, it can be painfully difficult to dig our way out.
So, how do you tell your sales voice, “You’re Fired!”
Go To Lunch
One of the most effective ways to “blog from the heart” is to imagine your ideal reader or audience sitting across from you. Picture a lunch with him/her. Spout your idea, solution, pet peeve or revelation.
If you bring along your sales guy, he’d certainly blurt out, “Sign this contract now!” or “Call today!”
When you’re hearing sales voices, it’s time to declare yourself to be everything BUT a salesman.
Sit down with your inner sales guy and explain why their position within your blog has been eliminated and will be replaced with authenticity.
Some talking points:
- I am the product. The best way to promote ME is to be myself.
- I’m a resource. Not a promoter.
- I’m a mentor. Not a marketer.
- I’m an influencer. Not an infomercial.
- My readers are window shopping. If I display my authetic expertise, they’ll enter my store and look around. I don’t need to accost them.
- I can either TELL people I’m a Thought Leader or SHOW them. Our content will be practicing the latter from here on out.
- My influence and expertise is the sales team now.
Do you struggle to turn off the marketing and sales voices when blogging about certain topics? How do you squash it?